A Short Course...
Angelology: the study of Angels.
What are Angels?
Do Angels really exist?
A. In the beginning: GOD created... (GEN 1:1 to 2:25)
1. The Spiritual World:
a. GOD (uncreated).
b. Angels. (PS 148:2,5)
c. The devil/demons. (created
d. Human spirits.
2. The Material World:
a. Chemicals, minerals.
B. Spirit: Definition... *TB 12-15, 75-76
1. Spirit has no parts and occupies no space. It is
immortal and cannot die, because the
power of GOD holds everything
in existence. (HEB 1:3)
2. Having no parts, nothing can be taken from it, as
there is nothing in it but its whole self.
3. Spirit can't change from what it is. It can never
become anything else.
4. Deprived of GOD, an evil spirit knows eternal torment,
C. Angels, the first created spirits: *CCC 328-336,350-352,
1. The word 'Angel', from the Greek 'aggelos', means
2. They are pure spirit (HEB 1:14), and are non-corporeal
(no body), have no race, and
no gender (MT 22:30). They are
personal, have emotions (LK 15:10), and are
immortal creatures (LK 20:36).
Each is created, individually by GOD and is not
procreated as is man. *CCC 330,
3. Angels have wisdom (2SAM 14:17,20), great power (PS
103:20), and free will. They
are holy (MT 25:31), obedient
(PS 103:20), and innumerable (HEB 12:22). Since they
have no parents, they are not
related to one another as humans are. *CCC 311,
4. The devil (Lucifer) and the demons, were created
as Angels. Everything GOD created
was good (GEN 1:31). Lucifer,
and one third of the Angels, used their free will to defy
GOD and were expelled from Heaven.
The root of their sin was pride.
*CCC 391-395,414, JOB 4:18,
*ISA 14:12-15, MT 25:41, 2PET 2:4, JUDE 1:6,
5. Angels were judged individually. Man was judged as
a race. When Adam and Eve
sinned, the human race suffered
original sin. Eve ate the apple and we got the stomach
ache. *TB78, *TS183,189.
6. The Angels' choice was final. They were not given
another chance as were humans. *TB76
D. The Hierarchy of Angels:
1. Angels being spirits, manifest themselves in forms
humans can relate to. This might explain
the many physical descriptions
of them found in the Bible. (ISA 6:2, EZ 10:1-22,
2. They are in 9 ranks called 'Choirs', which differ
in perfection of nature and grace. (*TS 157)
3. Choirs are in 3 groups according to their intellectual
perfection and nearness to GOD.
From the highest to the lowest
in rank they are...
GROUP I: ANGELS OF PURE GOODNESS... (*AP p181-193)
4. SERAPHIM: Called 'Love Angels'. Each has three pair
of wings, and many eyes,
(REV 4:6-9). With two wings
he covers his face, with two he covers his feet, and with
two he flies, (ISA 6:2-6). His
face is like lightning. They are never used as
messengers because their appearance
would frighten humans, (St. Birgitta of Sweden).
They minister to the Heavenly
sanctuary. (*AP p183-187)
5. CHERUBIM/CHERUBS, (PS 18:10, EZ 9:3, NEH 7:61) are
throne bearers and
custodians of sacred places.
They have many eyes (EZ 10:12), four faces, and four
wings (EZ 1:6,10, 10:14), and
do not turn their heads as they go
(EZ 1:9,12,17, 10:11). They
are large, (1KNG 6:23-28). They were put in Eden with
the 'Flaming Sword' to 'keep
the way of the tree of life' (GEN 3:24). They are depicted
on the top of the 'Ark Of The
Covenant' (EX 25:18-22, EX 37:7-9). NM 7:89,
1KNG 6:23-35, 2KNG 19:15, 2CHR
3:7-14, EZ 1:1-28, 10:1-22, HEB 9:5.
6. THRONES: (COL 1:16) Are pure humility, and dispense
GODS' justice and power to
the Angelic court. Lower choirs
depend on Thrones for access to GOD. (*AP p191-193)
GROUP II: ANGELS OF THE COSMOS... (*AP p197, PCD p19)
7. DOMINIONS/DOMINATIONS: Having royal robes, filled
with wisdom, endowed
with leadership, and crowned
for authority, govern the cosmos. (DAN 7:27,
EPH 1:21, COL 1:6, *TS156-157).
8. POWERS: Holding swords, are warriors and defenders
of the cosmos. They are in
conquest of evil spirits, of
which, from this choir, many came (Eph 6:11-12),
(*AP p200-201). MT 24:29, MK
13:25, LK 21:26, ROM 8:38, EPH 1:21,3:10,
COL 1:16, 2:10,15, TIT 3:1,
9. VIRTUES: Have 2 eyes (PCD p19), are charged with
dispensing celestial miracles. They
are 'Spirits of Motion', and
control the elements, and all of nature. *AP 203-204,
LK 6:19, 8:46.
GROUP III: ANGELS OF THE WORLD... (*AP p221)
10. PRINCIPALITIES: Called Princes, carry scepters to
assist in their direction of
GODS' commands. They are administrators,
responsible for every nation, city,
province, town and village.
The Angel of Persia (DAN 10:13), and Greece (DAN 10:20)
are examples. Some of the fallen
angels came fron this choir, Eph 6:11-12: JER13:18,
ROM 8:38, COL 1:16, 2:10,15,
EPH 1:21, 3:10, TIT 3:1, *TS 156.
11. ARCHANGELS: Messengers of GOD sent on assignments
importance (1THESS 4:16, JUDE
Michael, Captain of the Heavenly Host, has a combative role, opposing the
forces of evil. DAN 10,13-21, 12:1, the devil JUDE 1:9, the dragon REV
Gabriel announces the coming of the Lord (DAN 8:15-26, 9:21-27), to
Mary (LUKE 1:26-38). He will probably announce the second coming (1THES
Raphael has healing qualities. He healed the blind Tobit. TOB 3:35, 5:17,
9:6, 11:4,7, 12:15.
12. ANGELS: Always waiting for us to ask them for help.
Some are Guardian Angels.
Every human being has a Guardian
Angel who was assigned to him/her at the moment
of conception and he stays with
him until the moment of death. GEN 16:7,9,10-11,
ZECH 12:8, MT 1:20,24, *MT 18:10,
ACTS 12:15,23, CCC 336.
E. The function of Angels: *TS155
1. To glorify GOD. PS 97:3
2. To implement His will. PS 103:20
3. To operate the laws by which GOD rules the universe.
4. To intervene in the affairs of men as GOD chooses.
*TS156, 1PET 1:12.
F. Angels in the Bible: They are mentioned over 300 times
throughout the Bible, both as good
1. As the serpent in Eden (GEN 3:1-15).
2. They guarded the entrance to Eden (GEN 3:24).
3. They came to Abraham and Sarah and promised them
a son (GEN 18:1-14).
4. They destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah (GEN 19:1-25).
5. One brought food to Daniel in the lions den. (DAN
14:33-39, not in KJ).
6. St. Gabriel appeared to the Blessed Virgin Mary (LK
7. One told Joseph to take the child and His Mother
to Egypt (MT 2:13-14).
8. They aided Jesus and His disciples (MT 4:11, LK 22:43,
ACTS 5:19, 12:7).
9. One appeared to Mary Magdalen at the sepulcher (JN
10. They appeared to the Apostles (ACTS 1:10-11).
11. To St. Paul (ACTS 27:23-24).
12. They require supervision and are judged (1COR 6:3,
13. GOD is sometimes reluctant to trust them (JOB 4:18).
14. They can be false teachers: Gal 1:8
15. They sometimes appear as humans (GEN 19:1-25, HAG
1:13, MAL 2:7).
16. They bring GODS' messages to man (MT 1:20, LK 1:11,26,2:9,
G. Angels in our lives:
1. An Angel awakened St. Catherine Laboure' on July
18, 1830 and told her the
'Blessed Virgin Mary' was waiting
for her in the Chapel.
2. At Fatima, in 1916, the 'Angel Of Peace' appeared
three times to the three visionaries
before the 'Blessed Virgin Mary'
appeared in 1917.
3. Padre Pio is said to have sent his Guardian Angel
on errands. Read: 'Send Me
Your Guardian Angel'.
4. Many people are reported to have had encounters with
5. Angels have the ability to talk to Guardian Angels
of any person instantly, even if that
person is thousands of miles
H. Angelic notes:
1. One Angel can destroy all the evil on earth by calling
on all choirs.
2. Guardian Angels can be from any choir. The holier
the person, the higher the choir.
3. Angels of higher choirs delegate power to those of
4. Angelic choirs differ in power, responsibility, authority,
features, appearance, and size of
5. St. Gregory believed each human spirit would join
one of the choirs.
6. Each Angel is a unique creation, there are no two
7. Angels manifest themselves as male (GEN 19:1-13),
or female (ZECH 5:9). They have
no gender since they are Spirit.
I. Are Angels real?:
1. The Bible has over 280 references to them.
2. The Church teaches they are real. *CAT 328
3. Science cannot prove, nor disprove their existence.
4. The number of persons reporting 'Angelic' intercession,
and encounters has
increased dramatically in recent
years. This gives rise to circumstantial evidence that
Angels do indeed exist.
1. *CCC is The New Catechism Of The Catholic Church.
2. *TB is Theology For Beginners by F.J. Sheed. ISBN:0-89283-124-3
3. *TS is Theology And Sanity by F. J. Sheed. ISBN:0-89870-470-7
4. *AP is Angel Power by Janice T. Connell. ISBN:0-345-39123-3
5. *PCD is Pocket Cath. Dictionary, John Hardon, S.J.
End of Course, Angels...
My E-Mail Address: